Thoughts of ReMyD: Walk of Life, 3rd Stage. The working life

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Walk of Life, 3rd Stage. The working life

Sleepy. I managed 8+ hours of sleep yesterday, hitting the bed at 10something. I dreamt about something, but forgotten the moment I got up. I’m getting sleepier now that I’ve done my work, but couldn’t upload it into the network drive for my boss because the LAN is down, AGAIN. I needa get occupied to prevent myself from ‘fishing’. So here I am. Had breakfast in the canteen just now, same stuff, but new company. There was this chick sitting with my mum and she was introduced as Estelle, a Singaporean here for an orientation for a pharmaceutical thingy and she’ll be here for a few days. Apparently she just graduated from some uni (I think it was Curtin) in Perth and has been there for 4 and ½ years, so maybe 1-2years my senior? Big eyes, quite a sweet smile, and girls always look older with all those make up. Then there was Benny who owns a Suzuki Swift. The car looks nice, but it seems it’s not worth the money as I was told. Maybe I could get a test drive off him. Well, he volunteered.

Oo, LAN is up… Sigh. I’ve been given more data work. Creating another template to manage the Sell-in budget for all the products in Jan’06. Looking at these numbers just dazes me. Since she said to take my time working on this, I’ll just do as she told. Managing these numbers is easy, just that creating the template for all the columns are troublesome.

Yesterday I was into this conversation about working life with my stepdad. It all started when I talked to my mum about how time flies when you are working. Classic example would be waking up at 7-8am, getting ready for work. Hitting lunch at 12.30 and if you have got too much work at hand, your lunch break would probably last 15minutes. Then you proceed to work your ass off until 5.30pm. There are people who get their brains squeezed till about 6-7pm. I’ve seen IT support people working till about 9pm at times because sometimes you’ll just have to get it done (Well, not only IT). Then you head for dinner, whether is it at home or eating out, but having it at home is less mind blowing. After dinner, and after a long day, you will just wanna head home, take a nice shower, get some rest, and seeing that you’ll have to get up early for work tomorrow, sleep. That routine repeats 5times a week. Then comes the mentality of ‘looking forward to Friday’ when Monday comes and ‘@#$%%^ its Monday tomorrow’ just as you’re comfortably enjoying your dinner on a Sunday night. Where is life? Eventually everyone will be part of this slaved routine. I am complaining, but it is inevitable. My stepdad then went on talking about this is just an appetizer for your working life. ‘Wait till you’ll get yr other half, and once you have Daren juniors, you can then have a taste of having your wife complaining about ABCs next to you, your children crying about DEFs behind you, and your work troubling the GHIs in your head. It’s life!’ (Well that’s not exactly what he said, just his thoughts in my words) I’m like ‘Whoa uncle! You are going way too ahead’. Then my mum went on telling everyone that I’m complaining about working life etc etc. Females. Her friend even made a comment. ‘When you have yr wife, your left hand is tied. When you have yr children, your right hand is tied. If you have more children, you can say goodbye to your legs.’ That’s exactly what he said, word for word.

Imagine yourself smacked right in the middle of this conversation. OMGOMG. And NO I’m not thinking so far ahead YET. It is still 今早有酒今早醉 (Direct Translation: Today got beer, today get drunk) for me. I’m not at that stage yet. But that’s me, and I’ve just gone through my 22nd bday. Maybe I’m still a kid, and I don’t mind being one. Who doesn’t? My stepdad even went through a whole lot ‘lecturing’ me and commenting about youths, games (computer games that is) and yumcha sessions. I’m not gonna touch on that. Just different generation gaps and different mentality. But yes, I do get satisfaction from computer games, and just satisfaction alone, nothing productive (except for the strategic thinking and lightning responses involved). Don’t we all?

Hmm 12.23PM. Time for lunch. More work to do when I come back.

They turned the aircon off. It seems there was smoke coming out of the filter. So their solution? Instead of choking us to death, heating us to death. Had lunch with my mum’s colleagues. Found out quite alota stuff. First is that Jennifer, the person I’m under, my boss, is actually unofficially the Head of Finance in this company and she reports to the Finance Director (Malaysia and Singapore) of GSK. So I’m the ‘ma chai’ of the Head of the Department of Finance. Oo. Second is about Estelle. Apparently the entire 2nd floor (Sales and Finance department) went A Ga Ga over her when she came for briefing (She reports to my mum, incidentally). And when she went for breakfast *Ahem* with us, one by one the people went down to have a look at this ‘beauty’ that invaded GSK. Why did I say people? Because not only guys, but ladies joined the crowd in the canteen for no particular reason just to check out the ‘talk of the office’. Some bought curry puffs and Nescafes. Well, that was their reason I guess..

So sleepy, so hot. GSK IT Dept. is upgrading the MyGSK portal to version 2. Most of the internet service is down; therefore I can’t publish this shit until they complete the implementation. From the looks of it, not today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home